Build Problem on Ubuntu 16.04

Hi all, I have some problems to build the examples on Ubuntu 16.04.
First of all I installed Dart from source following the guide on the website (I used “git checkout tags/v6.6.0” since I need that version).
Next i went on the examples folder of dart and typed the following:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make

But i get the following error:

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148 (message):
  Could NOT find DART (missing: gui) (Required is at least version "6.6.0")
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:388 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/local/share/dart/cmake/DARTConfig.cmake:174 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  addDeleteSkels/CMakeLists.txt:10 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/rick/dart/examples/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Rick.

When you built DART from source, did you have all the dependencies that are needed for the dart-gui component library? (The dart-gui library helps to create a GUI frontend for a DART simulation.)

For version 6.6 it looks like you’ll at least need OpenGL to be installed.

@grey It seems @RickRat runs CMake against the example CMakeLists.txt without DART installed.

@RickRat You should either (1) build and install the DART (not the example) first and then build the example (see this instruction) or (2) either run CMake against the root CMakeLists.txt at the root of the repository and then make examples to build all the examples or make <specific_example_target> to build one example.

In any case, you need to installed all the dependencies that dart-gui component library requires as @grey suggested before (1) or (2).

Sorry, I’m not completely sure I understand what I have to do:
I installed DART from the sources using this guide “https://dartsim.github.io/install_dart_on_ubuntu.html”, then I went to the DART repository folder and typed as follow:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make

What should I do now? in the build folder I have the examples folder, do I have to go in that folder and compile that too?

OK I think I solved it, I accidentally skipped the libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev packages when I installed the optional dependencies, in fact when I was doing cmake it said “added 0 examples”, after installing the packages and reinstalling DART, I can build all the examples.

Thanks for the support

1 Like